Pages

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Welcome, Author Danielle Thorne!








Author Danielle Thorne grew up in Nashville, Tennessee, after moving south from Chicago. She currently lives south of Atlanta, Georgia.


Welcome to my blog, Danielle. What is your newest book about?

Proper Attire is about Julia Scott, who has left England and a dysfunctional family to live with her uncle in Antigua. Along the way, her ship is attacked by pirates, and she is saved by one of them who carries her off to sea. Thankful "John Smith" isn't what he appears to be, Julia reaches English Harbor in Antigua only to discover he is a respected citizen secretly involved in nefarious activities. She is just getting comfortable with her new surroundings, when a Navy lieutenant takes an interest in her. His attention forces Julia to sort out her feelings for the mysterious man who rescued her and refuses to be anything less than a close friend.

Where did you get your inspiration for this novel/book/work?

This book was inspired by the Age of Sail, long after the Golden Age of Piracy. I adore pirates, but I love the Regency era, too, so I wanted to create a more modern (as far as piracy is concerned) telling. The Regency era of England was influential in the West Indies, not just in the London countryside. My goal for this book was to cross Jane Austen-inspired romance with the romanticized ideas of Pirates of the Caribbean.


What kind of research did you do for this book?

Research is one of my favorite aspects of writing because I get to learn so much. It's the main reason I also write young adult non-fiction. I have the opportunity to travel to the Caribbean every 1-2 years, so visiting the islands gives me a birds-eye view for the settings I need, as well as a feel for the culture. For Proper Attire, I did a great deal of research on Antigua in the early 19th century and since I have not been any closer to the that island than St. Kitts, I studies Antiguan topography, maps, science and nature journals, photography, and even Google Earth!

Did you put real experiences from your research in this story?

Other than relating to my heroine's early self-doubt and insecurities, this story blossomed purely from my imagination.



What intrigues you most about writing these stories?

I'm fascinated by wooden ships, life at sea, and the Age of Sail. Timber sailing ships have an indescribable charm. They are the epitome of economy and simplicity. There is room only for the necessities, and that's okay, because what a view! Not to mention, the wood, tar, and sea air have a mingled scent that seems to soak into your bones. They say a sailor's life was a grueling trial, but I like to think that was not the norm. Living aboard a ship-shape vessel for weeks at a time sounds like a wonderful life to me.




Tell us a bit about your other books.

Besides Jane Austen-inspired romances, I also write in the historical and paranormal genres. In-between those fiction projects, I write non-fiction books (mostly historical) for young readers for Atlantic Publishing. All of my books are clean, and feature adventure and self-discovery.

Which of all your characters is your favorite?

They say your first published book will always be your baby, and that has been true for me. I like quiet, thoughtful, misunderstood heroes who are fearless and brave, except when it comes to their hearts. Julius Bertrand is the The Privateer, a book that gave me the opportunity to create my own world in the middle of the Caribbean, as well as my ideal hero and heroine. I love Captain Bertrand because he is such a good soul beneath all of the expectations of his status and station. The Privateer has been classified a historical over a historical romance because of its strong pirating plot, but the romance is there for those who believe in love at first sight.



How did you get started in this genre?

I happened to be reading Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series about the Age of Sail and the Royal Navy the year the first Pirates of the Caribbean film came out. Of course I fell head over heels for Jack Sparrow, and the rest was history. I wanted to believe pirates could be good guys, too, and not just the cliché bad boys from dime store romances. My research of sail, my love of Jane Austen and Regency England all came together with that one word: pirate.

When you have time to read, who are some of your favorite authors?



I absolutely love Julianne Donaldson. I'm shocked when avid sweet romance readers tell me they haven't heard of her. I relate to her characters and settings. She's a beautiful writer with a strong, original voice and her stories are just fun to read. I only wish she would write faster!

Let’s get personal for a moment: Please share with us the most daring thing you’ve ever done.

I think the most daring thing I've ever done was get certified as a diver and scuba dive in the Caribbean and Florida Keys. I had a great deal of anxiety at first, but my drive to be able to stay under the water and swim among the fish and coral overcame the fear of training. Unfortunately, I've always struggled with ear problems during dives, and this past summer I had to back out in the middle of the dive for what was probably the last time. After 15 years or so, it's become too painful and dangerous.



Favorite meal?

I'm a street taco girl. I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong country since I could live off of beans and rice and enjoy it. To be honest, I'm very nostalgic about all kinds of food. I've had dietary issues my whole life and haven't been able to eat wheat or have dairy for over a decade now. It stinks. I miss lasagna and pizza like you wouldn't believe. And cheesecake. *sniff* *sniff*

City you would love to visit and why?

Wow, that's a great question. I'm lucky to be able to travel frequently because one of my children works for a major airline. Although I'm a southern girl, I love Seattle, San Diego, southeast Idaho, and the Florida panhandle. I think the one place I always talk about going that I haven't visited yet is Santa Fe. I know it sounds random, but I've never been to New Mexico, and I know I'd love the food! I think it'd be a cool area to hike, too, since I've seen most of the rest of the country.


To learn more about Danielle visit her website at www.daniellethorne.com You’ll find all her books at this site.


Here are all Danielle's links:

Link to Proper Attire: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NX7LKMO


Blog: https://thebalancedwriter.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DanielleThorne
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authordaniellethorne/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/danielle_thorne/

Thank you so much for visiting “Gina’s World of Good”! I wish you many sales!! And many happy "sails"!

Please visit next week when our guest will be author Ann Mock!!

Until then, happy reading and may a joyous heart be yours!

17 comments:

  1. Danielle, I'm so happy that you are visiting this week. Your experiences and your writings are amazing!

    I am sure that our readers will have lots of questions. We are going to have a wonderful week.

    Thank you for stopping in on "Gina's World of Good"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle I'm glad to see you on Gina's blog. I want to say it was my pleasure meeting you in person at the Paducah signing and swapping books with you. I have thoroughly enjoyed the four novels of yours I've read, the last being Proper Attire. I love your sea adventures and the Regency era, in the flavor of Jane Austen. I hope you do well with Proper Attire and look forward to future books. I still watch your youtube of The Privateer occasionally. Gina, I'm so glad you have Danielle this week and thanks for notifying me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larry! It's so great to have Danielle here.

      Delete
  3. Great interview! So fun to catch up with Danielle and what she's been up to. Scuba diving! Wow! That's way braver than anything I'd have the courage to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Regina.. Danielle is a great writer for your blog....I look forward to reading her new book.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments, everyone. I appreciate you stopping by and visiting with Regina and me. Larry, it was awesome meeting you in person and doing a book signing together that year. I love meeting reader and author friends in person. There is something about the comfort of old friends--whether online or at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the information about your new book Danielle. It sounds like the type I love with the adventure and romance that stays clean. Good luck with your new book. It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great - I also love the age of pirates as well as the regency era.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Danielle and Regina, Thanks for the interesting interview. It's great to get to know Danielle a little more, and what a neat book! Pirates and sweet romance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, Jillian and Gail--- thank you SO much for stopping in and leaving a comment on Danielle's post. Your words are so interesting and thought-provoking -- I'm sure we will have more intriguing discussions in the future.

      Delete
  9. So nice to see you once again, Danielle. I remember interviewing you about this same novel and thought it was a great plot. I hope you touch many hearts with this book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Danielle's books. She writes with an easy flow, and her heroes and heroines become embedded in your mind.

    She's also adventure, it seems! Not sure I could conquer my fear of the water to dive, but yes, that seems to be a whole 'nother universe, one that I respect and admire.

    Great seeing you here, Danielle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda and Miss Mae - so great to have you visit and support Dani's writings! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Danielle, thank you for visiting this week, it was GREAT to host you and I hope you return to my shore soon! Best of luck to you in your writings!

    ReplyDelete